*Data Center Technician Engineer
||Data Center Operations
| ||Reports To:
||Director of DC Operations
At Layered Tech, we make it easy for you to focus on managing your success, instead of your servers. Customers around the world count on Layered Tech for:
- 1. SUPERIOR VALUE: Solutions that are affordable and allow you to lower expenses and cut costs.
- 2. SUPERIOR VISION: Leadership in practical, innovative infrastructure hosting solutions.
- 3. SUPERIOR EXPERTISE: Responsive people who are certified in the latest hosting technologies.
- 4. SUPERIOR RELIABILITY: The finest equipment, the tightest security, in top-tier data centers.
- SUPERIOR CHOICE: The widest range in operating systems, software and support levels to customize solutions to your precise requirements.
The Data Center Technician has primary responsibility for leading activities in support of implementations of company clients’ custom installs and company
support systems. The majority of the DC technician role is installing and cabling customer solutions and all remote
hand/feet requests for clients and support operations.
- Racking, Stacking, Cable Management, Custom Cabling Creation and installation
- Install, Configure and Troubleshoot Cisco network equipment and load balancing
- Install, Configure and Troubleshoot Firewall, IPTables, AV, IDS, Anti-SPAM products and services
- Install, Configure and Troubleshoot Web, Mail, Database and App Servers
- Asset Inventory, Applying Asset Tags
- Inventory/asset audit
- General dock work; loading and unloading
- Other duties as requested by team lead and manager
- Serve as tier 2 & 3 support escalation point
- Professionally resolve escalated issues via trouble ticket and phone
- Provide capacity management reports, incident reports and other facilities metrics to ensure high quality operations
- 2 years’ experience in an IT data center environment
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure, change management methodologies, problem solving methodology
- Some technical expertise on IT products and technologies
- Able to lift 50+ lbs to rack mount devices in systems cabinets/racks
- Ability to bend, stretch and climb to run cabling both overhead and under floor
- Familiarity with network cabling standards (TIA/EIA) and structured cabling
- Familiar with racking different types of equipment (eg. SUN, Dell, IBM, Cisco, etc…) within a data center environment
- Basic understanding of Mechanical and Electrical infrastructure within a Data Center environment
- Operating system installation and maintenance (Windows 2003/2008, CentOS, RedHat)
- Network troubleshooting skills including and understanding of routers and firewalls with the ability to use common tools such as netstat, traceroute, ifconfig, tcpdump and others
- Understanding of OSI model, TCP/IP networking components, DNS, Active Directory and LDAP
- Must be able to have flexibility to work around the clock and provide on call support on a rotational basis for off-hours support
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Mandatory: Strong problem-solving skills, Excellent written & verbal communication skills. Good inter-personnel skills
- Ability to promote a cooperative work environment by presenting a professional and responsive attitude
- Ability to act rapidly and logically under pressure, and make effective use of others in resolving problems
- Customer and service focused, with determination to meet their needs
- One to three years supervisory experience
- One or more relevant certifications such as CISA, CISM, CISSP or equivalent
- Basic working knowledge of TCP/IP networking to identify the role and function of firewalls, routers, and network security devices
- Basic working knowledge of web server technologies. Experience with the Model View Controller structure of web applications
- Basic working knowledge of database management systems
Education / Experience
Associates degree in an IT-related field plus two years of progressively responsible experience
Data Center Operations Team Lead