Two Paths to HIPAA Compliance
HIPAA compliance is essential for HIPAA "covered entities" including healthcare providers, health insurers, and healthcare clearinghouses; as well as for covered entities' "business associates" such as healthcare-related SaaS providers. Failure to maintain HIPAA compliance can result in heavy fines or even criminal charges, not to mention unfavorable publicity.
The HIPAA "Security Rule" mandates that covered entities and business associates ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of protected health information (PHI) that is held, processed, or transmitted in electronic form (ePHI). For organizations tasked with getting their IT operations into HIPAA IT compliance, there are two alternative paths: do-it-yourself, or utilize a HIPAA compliant hosting service.
The DIY Approach to HIPAA Compliance
The do-it-yourself path to achieving and maintaining HIPAA compliance includes, but is not limited to, the following activities:
- Having internal personnel develop and maintain expertise in HIPAA security compliance regulations, or hiring and retaining personnel with such expertise.
- Determining how the "technical safeguard" requirements within the HIPAA compliance regulations apply to your particular organization.
- Making the capital investments, and the ongoing operational expenditures, required to achieve and maintain IT HIPAA compliance.
- Training all relevant employees on HIPAA compliance requirements.
- Understanding and meeting notification requirements for ePHI security breaches.
- Thoroughly documenting all of your organization's HIPAA-related plans, evaluations, activities, and actions.
- Regularly conducting internal audits, and being subjected to independent audits.
- Regularly evaluating and updating all your HIPAA compliance programs and systems.
The Simpler Path: HIPAA Compliant Hosting
The shorter, simpler path is to use a HIPAA compliance hosting service to host your IT workloads that store, process, or transmit electronic PHI. With this approach, HIPAA compliance for your IT workloads is managed by experts, while you focus on your core business. On this path, your key decision is your choice of an HIPAA compliant hosting provider.
Why Choose Layered Tech for HIPAA Compliant Hosting?
Layered Tech is the leader in secure, compliant managed hosting services. Several factors make Layered Tech the stand-out choice for achieving and maintaining HIPAA compliance for IT:
- Compliance is our core competency. We help organizations stay in compliance with some of the most stringent IT regulations on the books, including HIPAA, HITECH, PCI DSS, and FISMA.
- As compliance specialists, we've built the IT architectures at our world-class data centers from the ground up to comply with the toughest regulations. For us, compliance is not just an add-on.
- We provide end-to-end HIPAA compliance services, from determining how HIPAA requirements apply specifically to your business, straight through to audit completion and ongoing evaluation.
- Only Layered Tech provides a 100% guarantee that your hosted IT services will pass every HIPAA or HITECH audit.
Learn more about how Layered Tech can help you achieve and maintain HIPAA compliance.
Need Help Narrowing the Choices?
Talk to a HIPAA Compliance Expert