How to Become HIPAA Compliant Quickly, Reliably, and Cost-Effectively
For most organizations involved in the U.S. healthcare sector, being HIPAA compliant is an unavoidable requirement. Failure to achieve and maintain HIPAA compliance can result in large fines, negative publicity, and even criminal charges. For healthcare-related businesses, the question isn't whether to become HIPAA compliant, it's how to do it most effectively and efficiently.
Who Needs to Be HIPAA Compliant
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and its follow-up legislation the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH) subject the following types of organizations to the requirements of HIPAA HITECH compliance:
- Healthcare providers who process or transmit patient information electronically.
- Health plans including insurers, HMOs, and company health plans.
- Healthcare information clearinghouses, such as billing services.
- "Business associates" who may have access to patient information, such as software as a service (SaaS) providers.
How Being HIPAA Compliant On Your Own Can Bog Down Your Business
Becoming and staying HIPAA compliant can be a significant drain on an organization's resources. The "do it yourself" approach to being HIPAA compliant entails, among other things:
- Substantial cap-ex costs in order to build and keep up a physical and logical IT infrastructure capable of meeting stringent HIPAA security compliance requirements.
- Diversion of valuable human capital, as managers and frontline personnel direct time and effort to the formidable training and paperwork imperatives of HIPAA and HITECH.
- Open-ended commitment, since being HIPAA compliant is not a "one and done" proposition but rather a continuous requirement to keep up with evolving rules and shifting security vulnerabilities.
- Potentially steep costs of compliance failures.
Why Layered Tech Managed Hosting is a Better Way to Be HIPAA Compliant
Layered Tech provides healthcare organizations and their business associates with comprehensive HIPAA compliant hosting services. By having Layered Tech host and manage your HIPAA-covered IT workloads, you:
- Become HIPAA compliant quickly and without need for capital expenditures, as you leverage Layered Tech's purpose-built HIPAA compliant data center facilities.
- Let Layered Tech's veteran compliance staff manage all the day-to-day headaches of HIPAA security compliance, while your own personnel focus on your core business objectives.
- Gain the peace of mind that comes with Layered Tech's 100% Compliance Guarantee.
Learn more about Layered Tech's HIPAA compliant managed hosting services.
Need Help Narrowing the Choices?
Talk to a HIPAA Compliance Expert